A new cohort of MPH students begins the program annually in the fall semester only. The priority deadline application consideration for Fall 2017 admissions is March 1, 2017. All applications submitted after March 1, 2017 will be reviewed on a space available basis until May 31st, 2017. Applicants must complete and submit separate application materials to the Division of Graduate Studies and the Health Education Department. To complete the required portions of the application process, proceed with the following steps:
The following criteria describes ideal candidates for the SF State MPH Program:
- WORK EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 4,000 total hours (equivalent to two years full-time work) of post-high school health-related work experience, paid or volunteer, part-time or full-time; applications strengthened by public health/health equity positions, particularly post-baccalaureate and leadership roles, and by additional years of public health/health equity work experience beyond the minimum required.
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Evidence of academic excellence, as reflected in a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in a baccalaureate degree or in the last 60 attempted semester (90 quarter) units of higher education coursework, or a previously earned post-baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university.
FOUNDATIONS: A completed college course in each of these four areas
- Statistics or calculus*
- Social Science
- Cultural, Ethnic, or Social Diversity (CESD).
*NOTE: The statistics/calculus course must have been completed with a grade of B- or higher, and within six years of the MPH program application year. If this is not the case for an applicant, the application will still be reviewed, and if the applicant is recommended for admission, a condition of admission will be a refresher statistics course completed with a grade of B- or higher before MPH program fall semester commencement. If this admission condition is not met before the start of the first fall semester, the student will need to reapply to the MPH program for a future year; the SF State MPH program does not defer admissions. Because it takes time to find space in a suitable college statistics course, if you have not met the admission criterion of a statistics/calculus course taken with a grade of B- or higher and within six years of the intended MPH program application year, it is strongly recommended that you enroll in an inferential statistics course as soon as possible, rather than waiting for the application admission decision. View detailed information about all four of the course requirements.
GRE General Test
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is a component of the application submission. Effective starting with this fall 2017 admissions, all applicants, including those who have completd a prior graduate degree, must submit valid GRE General Test scores.
- Analytical Writing Section: Graduate-level proficiency in written English, usually demonstrated by a score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing Section of the GRE General Test. Applicants scoring under a 4.0 may still be admitted with additional proof of graduate-level proficiency in written English, and should submit a college/post-college professional academic writing sample with their application.
- If applicable, TOEFL test or equivalent; consult the SF State Division of Graduate Studies website.
- Those who have linguistic competence in English and a second language have a strengthened application.
Step 1 - Attend one of the MPH Program Information Sessions (strongly recommended)
- See Department Events for the calendar of information sessions, which are held between September and January annually.
- These faculty-led sessions provide detailed information about the program, curriculum, admission criteria, selection procedures, and the application process. All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions.
- RSVP required. Please reserve a space in the information session you intend to attend by emailing email@example.com with your name, your email address, and the date you would like attend.
- For directions, parking and a campus map, view the SF State Parking & Transportation webpage.
Step 2 - Submission of Application Materials
For March 1st, 2017 priority deadline application consideration: All required Division of Graduate Studies and Department of Health Education application materials, including the GRE test scores, must be submitted by the priority deadline, for an application to be reviewed during the priority application review period. Applications that are missing any required materials at the end of the business day on the priority deadline, will instead be considered during our rolling admissions period, on a space available basis only, from March 2nd to May 31st, or until our incoming fall 2017 cohort is filled, whichever comes first.
Part A: Division of Graduate Studies Portion of the Application Process.
To complete the required Division of Graduate Studies portion of the application process, follow the steps for applying to the university available on the Division of Graduate Studies website. To electronically submit official GRE or other standardized test scores to San Francisco State, the ETS institution code for San Francisco State is 4684.
Part B: Health Education Department Portion of the Application Process.
To complete the required Health Education Department portion of the application process, submit the following to our Health Education Department:
- Health Education Department MPH Application form
- A statement of purpose
- Unofficial photocopies of your transcripts and your standardized test score reports (GRE and any others)
- If your GRE Analytical Writing section score is less than 4, include a sample of a college/post-college professional academic research paper
- Three References, using three Reference Forms (Formal university reference letter service also acceptable.)
- Program Requirements Contract
- Health Education Department Application Checklist
Mail or hand deliver your completed Departmental application material to:
Master of Public Health Program in Community Health Education
Department of Health Education, HSS 326
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
Step 3 - Notification of Admission Decision by the University
Applicants who applied by the March 1st priority deadline will be notified about the status of their application by mid-April. Applicants who apply during the extended application period will be notified about the status of their application potentially as soon as three weeks after date of application submission, or by mid-June at the latest for all applicants (refer to Step 2—Submission of Application Materials). To be admitted to the MPH Program, applicants must first be recommended for admission to the Division of Graduate Studies by the Health Education Department, and then officially admitted to the university by the Division of Graduate Studies.