(Rolling Admission Period Deadline (TBA) - Contact email@example.com to notify intent to apply for rolling admission)
Note: "Deadline" indicated in Cal State Apply portal reflects system closure for applications and may not reflect deadline for rolling admission.
For Fall 2020 admissions, applications will open on October 1st. Complete applications received by Febraury 1, 2020 will be eligible for early admissions decision (notifications will be emailed by early March). Complete applications received by March 29, 2020 are eligible for regular admissions decision (notification will be emailed by mid-May). Applications received after the regular admissions deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis until the cohort is deemed full by the program.
A new cohort of MPH students begins the program annually in the fall semester only. Applicants must complete and submit application materials to Cal State Apply. In that same application portal, applicants are required to submit additional materials, specific to the MPH graduate program. For full application consideration, all required application materials, including the GRE test scores, must be submitted by the regular admission deadline, for an application to be reviewed during the regular admission application review period. Applications that are missing any required materials at the end of the business day on the regular admission deadline, will instead be considered during our rolling admissions period, on a space available basis only, or until our incoming fall cohort is filled, whichever comes first. To complete the required portions of the application process, proceed with the following steps:
The following criteria describes ideal candidates for the SF State MPH Program:
- WORK EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 3,700 total hours (equivalent to two years full-time work) of post-high school health-related work experience, paid or volunteer, part-time or full-time; applications strengthened by public health/health equity positions, particularly post-baccalaureate and leadership roles, and by additional years of public health/health equity work experience beyond the minimum required.
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Evidence of academic excellence, as reflected in a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in a baccalaureate degree or in the last 60 attempted semester (90 quarter) units of higher education coursework, or a previously earned post-baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university.
PREREQUISITE/FOUNDATIONS: A completed college course in each of these four areas
- Statistics or calculus*
- Social Science
- Cultural, Ethnic, or Social Diversity (CESD).
- Click on the following link to view detailed information about all four of the course requirements: SF State MPH Program - Prerequisite Courses
*NOTE: The statistics/calculus course must have been completed with a grade of B- or higher, and within six years of the MPH program application year (For Fall 2020 Admission - June 2014). If this is not the case for an applicant, the application will still be reviewed, and if the applicant is recommended for admission, a condition of admission will be a refresher statistics course completed with a grade of B- or higher before MPH program fall semester commencement. If this admission condition is not met before the start of the first fall semester, the student will need to reapply to the MPH program for a future year; the SF State MPH program does not defer admissions. Because it takes time to find space in a suitable college statistics course, if you have not met the admission criterion of a statistics/calculus course taken with a grade of B- or higher and within six years of the intended MPH program application year, it is strongly recommended that you enroll in an inferential statistics course as soon as possible, rather than waiting for the application admission decision.
GRE General Test
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is a component of the application submission. All applicants, including those who have completd a prior graduate degree, must submit valid GRE General Test scores.
- Analytical Writing Section: Graduate-level proficiency in written English, usually demonstrated by a score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing Section of the GRE General Test. Applicants scoring under a 4.0 may still be admitted with additional proof of graduate-level proficiency in written English, and should submit a college/post-college professional academic writing sample with their application.
- If applicable, TOEFL test or equivalent; consult the SF State Division of Graduate Studies website.
- Those who have linguistic competence in English and a second language have a strengthened application.
- To electronically submit official GRE or other standardized test scores to San Francisco State, the ETS institution code for San Francisco State is 4684.
Step 1 - Attend one of the MPH Program Information Sessions (Strongly Recommended)
- See Information Sessions for a list of upcoming dates, times and locations, which are typically held between September and January annually.
- Pre-registration is required. Spaces for each information session are limited. Follow instructions on the previously mentioned website to register accordingly.
- These faculty-led sessions provide detailed information about the program, curriculum, admission criteria, selection procedures, and the application process. All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions.
- For directions, parking and a campus map, view the SF State Parking & Transportation webpage.
Step 2 - Submission of Application Materials
Before you begin this application, the Division of Graduate Studies recommends that you review our TIPS to Cal State Apply, as well as the Master of Public Health in Community Health Education admissions website. Review all detailed information on admissions criteria and be prepared to answer application questions on how you meet these requirements.
Be sure to complete the following sections on Cal State Apply for the Master of Public Health application:
- Documents (See documents required below)
- Experiences: In the “Supporting Information” section of the application, please fill out your “Experiences” to list all applicable employment that fulfill the program’s work experience criteria. Hours calculated should meet the minimum admission criteria.
Documents To Prepare & Upload:
- Upload a Program Requirements Contract
- Upload a CV/Resume
- Upload a personal statement (Prompt available on Cal State Apply)
- Upload a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test score (And any other additional applicable test scores)
Upload transcripts from every college or university attended to the Documents section of this application
(You must upload transcripts from every college or university attended to the Documents section of this application. Transcripts should include study abroad coursework, community college coursework even if transfer credit appears on your degree transcript. Photos of documents are not accepted. The Division of Graduate Studies may request official transcripts from you at any time during the application process in order to complete our review. Make sure you resolve any financial obligations at previously attended institutions so they will release your transcripts. If selected for admission, you are required to submit official transcripts to the Division of Graduate Studies.)
Letters of Recommendation
Three (3) letters of recommendation are required. Please follow all instructions and prompts indicated in the Cal State Apply application portal to manage the submission of recommendation letters by the appropriate deadlines. Letters should be from academic and/or professional reference providers who can address your academic and professional promise. The letters do not have to be from faculty members at an academic institution, they can be from supervisors or professionals familiar with the candidate's work. However, if you have graduated within the last 5 years, at least one letter from a former professor is preferred.
Applicants with a GRE Analytical Writing score of at least 4.0 are not required to submit a writing sample. If you scored a 4 or above and opt not to submit a writing sample, scan and upload a copy of your GRE score report in the writing sample upload section of the application.
Step 3 - Notification of Admission Decision by the University
To be admitted to the MPH Program, applicants must first be recommended for admission to the Division of Graduate Studies by the Health Education Department, and then officially admitted to the university by the Division of Graduate Studies.
To contact a representative of the program for program specific application inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Any technical application questions can be directed to the Division of Graduate Studies.